How Should I Format My Resume – How Should I Format My Resume
Photo Source: Margaux Quayle Cannon
Warning: Incorrectly formatted résumés are everywhere—and they’re overextension like an communicable disease! I’m acquainted this from actors advancing in to audience for me, from my apprenticeship clients, and in my classes. Lucky for you, I’ve got the bluff area for formatting your one-sheet like a pro. Actual layouts alter from country to country, but we’ll focus on the actual U.S. structure, top to bottom, for now:
1. Your Name and Representatives.Your name goes at the top. Make abiding it’s in a chantry that’s ample abundant to angle out on the page, again account your acquaintance info, agent, and administrator on the top or basal of the page, and use the artwork of your rep company.
2. Blur and TV Credits.Don’t agglomeration altered categories calm for your acting credits. Separate film, TV, and new media—in that order. Next, your credits should anniversary be allotted three side-by-side columns. The name of the activity goes in Column 1; the admeasurement of your role in Column 2 (that’s lead/supporting in film, co-star/guest star/recurring in TV, etc.); and the name of the project’s arch ambassador in Column 3 (that’s the administrator for blur and producer/production company/network for TV). Do not account automated films, and do not account accomplishments work—it makes you attending like an amateur. This is article you may do as you’re starting out to accretion set experience, but it should not go on your able acting résumé.
3. Training.We appetite to see how you’ve accomplished to get here. You can additionally use three columns here. Column 1 should acquaint us what affectionate of chic it is (i.e., Movement, Audience Technique, Improvisation). Specify if your classes are ongoing. I do not accept that casting administrator workshops should be listed actuality if they were a one-off—it would be like including a academy that you attended. Column 2 should account your acting agents for anniversary advance and Column 3 the acting studio.
READ: Backstage Experts Answer: What Belongs on an Actor’s Résumé?
4. Amphitheater Credits.We are actual absorbed in your amphitheater experience. Again, use the three-column architecture here. From larboard to right, account the name of the play, your role, and the amphitheater aggregation you performed with.
5. Personal Stats.When I’m putting calm an ensemble or bond two actors in a arena together, I charge to apperceive absolutely how alpine you are. You can additionally account your weight and bristles and eye blush here. If you’re a guy who’s antic a bristles in your photo that you’re submitting, it ability be a acceptable abstraction to agenda that you will be accommodating to lose your facial bristles for a role. You can alike admit a abate photo aural your headshot of your altered look.
6. Miscellaneous.Include your abutment affiliation. Account your appropriate abilities and specify your accomplishment levels. Driving a stick about-face is a appropriate accomplishment these days, as abounding bodies don’t apperceive how. What affectionate of ball do you apperceive and what is your accomplishment level? You say you sing—are you a baritone or an alto? What affectionate of accoutrements are you accomplished at shooting? But don’t bother advertisement asinine things like “I can cantankerous my eyes on cue.” And please, for the adulation of God and all that is holy, do not lie or exaggerate! Additionally agenda if you accept a accurate authorization so we apperceive that you can travel. Are you a bounded appoint for assorted cities? Account them. Do you accept conflicts advancing up? Write that they’re accessible aloft request. And back it comes to awards and nominations, add an asterisk abutting to the activity aloft and comment the accolade name and year below.
Known for her assignment in blur and television, ambassador and casting administrator Marci Liroff has formed with some of the best acknowledged admiral in the apple such as Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Mark Waters, Christopher Nolan, Brad Bird, and Herbert Ross. While alive at Fenton-Feinberg Casting, she, forth with Mike Fenton, casting such films as “A Christmas Story,” “Poltergeist,” “E.T. – The Extra Terrestrial,” “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” and “Blade Runner.” After establishing her own casting aggregation in 1983, Liroff casting “Footloose,” “St. Elmo’s Fire,” “Pretty in Pink,” “The Iron Giant,” “The Spitfire Grill,” “Untamed Heart,” “Freaky Friday,” “Mean Girls,” “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past,” “Mr. Popper’s Penguins,” “Vampire Academy,” and the accessible “The Sublime and Beautiful,” which she produced as well, and the accessible blur “Magic Camp.”.
Liroff is additionally an acting coach, and her three-night Audience Bootcamp has empowered actors to appearance the audience action in a new light. The chic spawned an online advance accessible at Udemy advantaged “How To Audience For Blur and Television: Audience Bootcamp.” Visit Liroff online at marciliroff.com, chase her on Twitter @marciliroff and Facebook, and watch her admonition videos on YouTube. You can additionally apprehend her blog.
Ready to body credits for your résumé? Check out Backstage’s TV audience listings!
Known for her assignment in blur and television, ambassador and casting administrator Marci Liroff has formed with some of the best acknowledged admiral in the world. Liroff is additionally an acting coach, and her three-night Audience Bootcamp has empowered actors to appearance the audience action in a new light.