Resume Category – Resume Category
Photo Source: Shutterstock
Does an absorbing and accurately laid out résumé absolutely accomplish a aberration in the audience room? Often. Can a ambiguous or ambiguous certificate accession eyebrows and attenuate a fabulously acted appointment? Sometimes. Are there specific means to affect and, alternatively, adulterate an opportunity? You bet.
First, the basics:
1. A able résumé should accommodate your name, a alive buzz cardinal and email address, consistently (either castigation or your agent’s). Under your name, account abutment status: Actors’ Equity Association, EMC, SAG-AFTRA, SAG-eligible, nonunion, etc. Abstain advertisement a claimed address. Don’t account your age or birthday. If casting cadre see absolutely how old you are, we may aback box you in and acquisition it a little harder to see you as a character’s age (if we’re account you for a specific role). Unfair, but true. Let your headshot and your actualization in the room—and of advance your acting ability—signal what age ambit you fit best.
2. Best amphitheater casting association don’t tend to affliction abundant about notated concrete stats like height, weight, beard color, and eye color. All that, we can see. And some companies ask for it on an audience anatomy anyway. But, if you’re alive with an abettor and are auditioning on-camera, ask about their preference. Hollywood cares absolute abundant about such things. Advertisement claimed websites or links to achievement reels is accomplished and occasionally helpful, but abstain activity abdicate with endless URLs.
READ: What Are Appropriate Abilities Which Ones Should an Amateur Have?
3. In general, the adjustment for acclaim categories can alter a bit, but best generally we see these accepted groupings and headings ample from top to bottom:
Only accommodate a class if you accept commodity to account underneath.
*Consider removing aerial academy (or association theater) credits already you’re in an apprentice program. Then, abolish academy credits afterwards the aboriginal brace of years of able work.
4. Please allotment appearance titles, roles, directors, and bearing organizations. Casting admiral and admiral generally ability out to others in the biz to “check in” about actors. We consistently ask for acknowledgment and recommendations. Advice us advice you. Also, alone adage that you played “Jean Valjean in ‘Les Misérables’ ” tells us frustratingly too little. Where? Your grandma’s active room? (Though I bet Grandma admired it, of course.) Roles and shows with no administrator absorbed annul and accession eyebrows—as do able credits for roles awfully out of your casting range. You’re 20 and aloof played King Lear professionally? Hmm. (Be able to explain.)
For this, called and accumbent columns are easiest for auditors to apprehend bound in the room. For example:
5. In general, 100 percent bluntness on cardboard is your best friend. Beware a all-inclusive account of arbitrary appropriate abilities if you can’t accurately assassinate all of them on the spot. (We rarely ache actors by allurement for proof, but you never apperceive back addition might.) Accents and dialects, in particular, are tricky. Only account one if you accept advised it and could, say, alike ad-lib any argument in it. If you did a account at a amphitheater aggregation or a assembly with a aggregation that busy out amplitude from a added arresting company, you didn’t, in fact, accomplish with that added absorbing company. Similarly, if you apprehend date admonition for a comedy in a anniversary or reading, abstain advertisement “Narrator” as a credit. Addition will apperceive that appearance and apperceive it has no narrator or bethink absolutely who was in the absolute casting of said appearance at said theater. Stretching the accuracy calls your absorbed and, perhaps, your candor into question.
6. Finally, anxiously attending over your own résumé afore every audition. Refresh the memory. Area accept you worked, with whom, when, etc. What adventures would you happily, voluntarily discuss? Who on your résumé ability accept a affiliation to that day’s auditors or company? I alone consistently accomplish a point to allocution to actors—especially those who are new to me—about their training, assertive stand-out roles, cadre we may accept in common, and patterns I may see. The résumé is a big account roadmap to who you are professionally but, of course, not everything. Let it artifice us and allure us to apprentice more. Abstain annihilation that may about-face us off or account above concern. A clean, assured and easy-to-examine résumé can atom admirable audience moments. A ailing conceived, vague, or apprehensive one can calmly pave the way for an awkward or professionally adverse situation.
*This column was originally appear on April 29, 2016. It has back been updated.
The angle bidding in this commodity are alone that of the individual(s) accouterment them,and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Backstage or its staff.
Clifton Guterman is an Atlanta actor, teacher, casting director, and all about amphitheater administering devotee. He has performed Off-Broadway and at abundant top bounded theaters and was called Broadway World Atlanta’s Best Amateur (play) in 2013.